Dr. Umbareen Mahmood is a Board Certified, double Ivy League trained Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon practicing in NYC (Manhattan, NY). She employs both surgical and non-surgical techniques tailored to the individual needs and desires of her patients. Free plastic surgery consultations are offered at her best in class fully accredited plastic surgery practice Plastic Surgery Group of NYC.
Where do I even start about this amazing plastic surgeon!? I had considered a breast augmentation with breast implants for years and met with numerous plastic surgeons in Manhattan, but never felt like I was heard. I even met with “THE breast DR of NYC” and quite honestly couldn’t stand him. He sounded like a broken record, like I was just another patient and I left feeling more anxious than ever. The following week I met with Dr. Mahmood and almost instantly knew she was my plastic surgeon! She spent so much time with me, truly listening and offering advice. One of the hardest things for me was picking a size. She spent over an hour with me, trying on implants, explaining why one might be better than the next and never once seemed annoyed with my perpetual indecisiveness. ~ Google
- Dartmouth Medical School. Medical Doctorate Hanover, NH
- Dartmouth College, B.A. in Psychology & Brain Sciences Hanover, NH
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- University of South Florida, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Tampa, FL
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons (NESPS)
- New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons (NYRSPS)
- America Board of Medical Specialties
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Basic Life Support
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support
- Advanced Trauma Life Support
- ASPS Public Education Committee
- ASPS Young Plastic Surgeons Steering Committee
- Women in Plastic Surgery – Annual Conference Scholarship Recipient
- State of New York Medical License
- State of New Jersey Medical License
RESEARCH & INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Summer Student Fellowship Program New York, NY
- International Children’s Heart Foundation, International healthcare mission team member Rawalpindi, Pakistan
- National Cancer Institute – NIH, Cancer Research Training Scholar Bethesda, MD
- Dartmouth College: Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Presidential Scholar Intern Hanover, NH
- The Children’s Institute: School for Children with Behavior and/or Developmental Difficulties, Intern Verona, NJ
- Silberstein Aging and Dementia Research Center: NYU School of Medicine, Research Assistant New York, NY
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), Public Education Committee & Young Plastic
Surgeons Steering Committee
- Dartmouth College Alumni Organization, Alumni Interviewer Tampa, FL April 2014-present
Professional Philanthropy Network Tampa, FL
- Urban Health Scholar, Dartmouth Medical School Hanover, NH
- Physicians for Human Rights: Dartmouth Medical School, Leadership Committee, Hanover, NH
- Dartmouth Medical School Admissions Office, Admissions Officer Hanover, NH=
- Tucker Foundation, Foundation for Community Service Hanover, NH
- Deans Students Advisory Council, Strategic Planning Executive Steering Committee Board Member
- Dartmouth Undergraduate Admissions Office, Senior Interviewer Hanover, NH
Nathan Smith Society, Pre-Medical Undergraduate Society, Executive Committee Member Hanover, NH
- Dartmouth College Office of Residential Life, Undergraduate Resident Adviser Hanover, NH
- Dartmouth Coalition for Global Health: Campus Coordinator Hanover, NH
- Casque & Gauntlet: Senior Society Hanover, NH
- Mahmood U, Suber J, Zadikany R, Kellogg B, Fulp WJ, Laronga C, Dayicioglu D, Smith P. Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy via Inframammary Fold: Reconstructive Red Flags. Cancer & Clinical Oncology. Vol 5(1): 2016.
- Mahmood U & Baker JL. Lateral Subcutaneous Brow Lift: Updated Technique. Aesth Soc Journal. May 2015, DOI: 10.1093/ asj/sju116
- Mahmood U & Baker JL. Response to “Comments on ‘Lateral Subcutaneous Brow Lift: Updated Technique.’” Aesth Soc Journal. 2015, DOI: 10.1093/asj/sjv212
- Gupta S, Mahmood U, Gurung S, Shrestha S, Kushner AL, Nwomeh BC and Charles AG. Response to Letter to the Editor: Intentional burns – A form of gender based violence in Nepal. Burns. (2014).
- Gupta S, Mahmood U, Gurung S, Shrestha S, Kushner AL, Nwomeh BC and Charles AG. Intentional burns – A form of gender based violence in Nepal. Burns. 2016 May;42(3):713.
- Gupta S, Mahmood U, Gurung S, Shrestha S, Kushner AL, Nwomeh BC and Charles AG. Burns in Nepal: A Population Based National Assessment. Burns. 2015 Aug;41(5):1126-32.
- Gupta S, Wong E, Mahmood U, Charles AG, Nwomeh BC, Kushner AL. Burn management capacity in low and middle- income countries: A systematic review of 458 hospitals across 14 countries. Int J Surg. 2014 Oct;12(10):1070-3
- Scope A, Mahmood U, Gareau DS, Kenkre M, Lieb JA, Nehal KS, Rajadhyaksha M. In vivo reflectance confocal microscopy of shave biopsy wounds: feasibility of intraoperative mapping of cancer margins. Br J Dermatol. 2010 Dec;163(6):1218-28.
- Mahmood U, Dayicioglu D. Chapter 28: Abdominal and Thoracic Reconstruction. Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery: The Essentials. World Scientific (2012). pp 671-697.
- Mahmood U. Burn: Medicolegal Practice/Psychology/Psychiatry. Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London. Module requirement for Masters of Science in Burn Care by Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry. (2011).
- Hiro M, Pappas-Politis E, Mahmood U, Payne WG. Successful Use of Ultrasound Guided Compression For A Princeps Pollicis Artery Pseudoaneurysm. Case Report. J Hand Surg. 2012 Dec; 37(12):2553-6.
- Mahmood U, Hiro, M, Pappas-Politis, E, Payne, WG. Intraorbital Wooden Foreign Body. Eplasty. 2012; 12: ic1. Published online 2012 February 6.
- Mahmood U. Knox K, Patel P. Zone VII Extensor Tendon Injuries of the Hand. Eplasty. 2010. Published online 2010 March 11.
- Mahmood U, Knox K, Datiashvili R. Dorsal Nasal Flap. Eplasty. 2010. Published online 2010 May 25.
- Mahmood U, Suber J, Zadikany R, Kellogg B, Fulp WJ, Laronga C, Dayicioglu D, Smith P. Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy via Inframammary Fold: Reconstructive Red Flags. (1) Presentation at ASPS National Meeting, Senior Resident Conference, October 2015, Boston, MA. (2) Poster presentation. Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. Nassau, Bahamas. June 2014. (3) Acceptance for the American College of Surgeons, 2014 Clinical Congress Scientific Poster Program
- Kellogg BC, Cone JD, Mahmood U, Ruas EJ. Transblepharoplasty Subperiosteal Midface Lift: A Single Surgeon’s 16-Year Review of Lower Lid Complications. Presentation at ASPS National Meeting, Senior Resident Conference, October 2015, Boston, MA.
- Gupta S, Mahmood U, Gurung S, Shrestha S, Kushner AL, Nwomeh BC and Charles AG. Burns in Nepal: A Population Based National Assessment. Presentation at the 10th Annual Academic Surgical Conference. February 2015. Las Vegas, NV. Mahmood U, Abernethy AP, Rushing CN, Samsa GP, Pusic AL, Smith DJ, Atisha DM. “How Does Procedure Type Affect the Impact of Breast Cancer on Women’s Lives.” Poster presentation. University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine. February 2014.
- Ching J, Mahmood U, Slonim C, Small L, Carter W, Albear PR. Comprehensive Surgical Treatment of Visual Field Obstruction due to Brow Ptosis: A Treatment Algorithm. Poster presentation. American Society of Plastic Surgery: 2013, San Diego, CA.
- ASMS: The American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons – Basic Maxillofacial Principles & Techniques, San Francisco, CA
- Microsurgery Training Program – Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Flap Dissection Course – Duke University Division of Plastic Surgery, Durham, NC, 2014.
As a best in class plastic surgeon, Dr. Mahmood provides highly personalized and comprehensive care. Her philosophy regarding the plastic surgeon / patient relationship is based on trust and has earned her one of the most respected reputations as a plastic surgeon in NYC. The top rated NYC plastic surgeon uses the latest techniques to provide the most natural-looking results possible for your plastic surgery procedure.
If you have any questions for the NYC plastic surgeon or would like schedule a plastic surgery consultation please feel free to contact us:
Plastic Surgery Group of NYC
461 Park Ave South, #7H
New York, NY 10016